Friday, July 2, 2010

Screaming My Youth Away

After riding roller coasters all day at Six Flags Magic Mountain for my boyfriend's 30th birthday I was bedraggled, windswept, exhilarated and exhausted. I was also struck with the question of whether riding roller coasters has an aging effect on my body or anti-aging? Adrenaline may make you feel younger but doesn't it have adverse effects because in it's very essence it is causing extra stress on your body? And stress, we know is bad, aka extra aging. But if you do things that make you feel younger don't you actually live longer? But then there is the fact that just because you live longer doesn't mean you are not aging any faster.

It might be true that people who are major adrenaline junkies tend to not live as long as their placid non-thrill seeker neighbors. But for their shorter lives do their bodies age slower or faster b/c of the natural high? And I think the statistic about death rate is b/c they die more frequently in accidents and that they are generally more reckless in other areas of their life. It seems to me that those who seek out adventure would be more youthful. So.... is there a correlation between aging and adrenaline? Between being mentally adventurous and anti-aging? Can adrenaline be a good stress? Being scared produces adrenaline. But wait, isn't being scared bad? How much of this natural drug is too much??

So did I gain any extra wrinkles because of my theme park adventure? I can't tell. I did get a sunburn which we KNOW is anti-aging, so I guess we will never really know.

No comments:

Post a Comment