Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baby Gotta Get Me That Money

Being in Los Angeles there is such a broad spectrum of wealth.  There could be a person sleeping on the sidewalk w/o a penny to their name with a hundred thousand dollar car parked right in front of them.  Drive down Santa Monica Blvd and you will see wholesale shops, trash on the streets, crazies yelling at bus stops.  Then a few blocks down you will see boutiques with a pair of ripped up jean shorts priced at $300 in the window, valet'd coffee shops, custom vintage car dealers.  There are things to spend money on everywhere here.  Luxury doggie boutiques where your pooch can get only the best massage and gourmet chef-prepared treats.  Private villas you can rent when you come to visit.  Wining, dining, spas, diamonds, valet, penthouses, the art-deco Spanish style houses up in the Hollywood Hills, it is all here. 

I like to think I live pretty simply.  Or at least I try.  I thrift store shop for clothes.  I'm not ashamed of picking furniture up off the street.  I buy whatever vegetables are in season.  But is it only out of necessity?  Being around so much money makes me want things.  Makes me want to do things.  I long to lounge by a sparkling pool with a glass of champagne in one hand and a plate of cherries and gourmet cheeses on the table beside me.  I drool over a shiny custom El Camino (okay not exactly what you would call a "luxury" car) and my head turns at a window filled with lit-up crystal chandeliers. 

I've lived in the country.  It was easier to not want money so bad.  I was content with driving around in my beat up Camry, picking up groceries at Aldi's and trading in my clothes at the local vintage shops.  That left just enough money to go to movies pretty frequently and out to eat/drink quite a bit.  Now that rent is twice as much as what we used to pay for half the space, I've had to step it up.  I've been hustling since I got here, I'm proud to say.  But it is not easy.  Once I get a little more into my career I'm sure I will make more money.  Pay my bills on time.  But then there is that question:  Will I be able to ever make enough?  Is enough ever enough? 

It will hard to strike that balance between not wanting so much and staying happy.  Must remember: money doesn't buy happiness, money doesn't buy happiness.  But it sure does buy a good time!

1 comment: